When it comes to redecorating bathrooms in your home, you must enlist the help of professional and licensed bathroom contractors or official remodeling companies. Although several individuals and companies claim to be able to perform this service, homeowners should always check those specific businesses are licensed to perform this type of work.
Aspects to Look Out For
Before agreeing to let any local bathroom remodelers do work in and around your home, it’s essential to check the following aspects:
- Are they appropriately licensed, bonded, and insured? If they don’t have the required insurance, you, as the homeowner, could be liable if anything goes wrong while work is done on your bathroom.
- Are they suitably qualified and experienced? Although everyone has to start learning somewhere, plumbers who are not yet qualified and experienced should only ever be working under the close supervision of one with the necessary qualifications and experience.
- Are they willing to provide references for jobs that they have completed recently? If not, this may indicate that the quality of their work may not be up to standard.
- Are there any online or even word-of-mouth reviews available that rate the quality of their work? If you are only finding negative reviews or customer complaints online when researching local bathroom remodelers, it will be best for you to hire the services of another company instead.
- Do they require a large upfront deposit or payment? Although deposit amounts between 10% and 25% are usually considered relatively reasonable, you should hear warning bells ringing if a 50% or higher upfront payment is requested before any work commences.
- How well do they communicate with you? Do they take calls and respond to emails or text messages, or do you have to try to get in touch with them repeatedly? If they seem difficult to make contact with, instead hire a different team of licensed bathroom contractors.
- Are they willing to provide you with a physical printed or written quotation or estimate before getting started? If not, you could be in for a nasty shock once the job has been completed. Therefore, always insist on obtaining an official quotation that provides a clear scope of work and a list of materials that will be used.
- How soon can a specific contractor start remodeling your bathroom? Most good contractors will usually be booked a bit in advance. However, if a contractor says he can begin right away, this could indicate that he may not be as well known as other companies in the area or that his craft may not be of good quality.
- How well do they listen to your needs and preferences about the bathroom remodeling project? Many unscrupulous contractors will want to barge ahead and finish the job as quickly as possible – without bothering to find out precisely what their client wants. Ensure that the contractor or company you choose is willing to take your preferences and desires into consideration beforehand
Decide between a Complete Bathroom Remodel and a Basic Fixture Upgrade
When meeting with one or more licensed bathroom contractors, you’ll need to decide whether you’d like them to perform a total remodel of the bathrooms in your home or if you’d like to have one or more of the main fixtures updated. However, if your home is more than 10 to 15 years old, it is usually best to have a complete remodel performed.
Over time, fixtures such as toilets, sinks, tubs, shower stalls, and faucets will experience general wear and tear that will not only make them look unattractive but prevent them from performing as effectively as they did when they were new. In addition, enamel coatings on these fixtures will also become scratched and dull after a while, making them difficult to keep clean.
Choosing the Best Bathroom Fixtures
These days, the wide variety of available bathroom fixtures can make choosing the right ones for your remodeling project seem overwhelming. However, keeping a few tips in mind will help make the selection process a lot easier:
- Although the trendy items may look good right now, they will date very quickly and cause your bathroom to look out of place in no time – instead, stick with the more traditional colors and styles where fixtures are concerned
- It can be tempting to purchase the cheapest fixtures; after all, remodeling a bathroom is an expensive exercise. However, many affordable institutions will not be as durable as their costlier alternatives, meaning that they’ll usually have to replace within a year or two, negating any savings you may have obtained at the time of purchase. So rather spend a little extra for decent quality fixtures that will last a long time.
- Although a bit of color is usually good, reserve its use for paint instead of fixtures. Those avocado green toilet pans, sinks, and tubs may have been trendy a few decades ago, but they now make a bathroom look outdated. If you’d like a splash of color in your bathroom, consider painting one wall or ceiling. Over time, this will cost a lot less to change than it will be to replace colored fixtures.
- While purchasing plastic bathtubs and shower pans may be cheaper, these will look grimy and scratched. It’s best rather have porcelain or ceramic bathtubs installed, and showers should be tiled to provide a neater and more attractive finish that will also be easier to keep clean.
How Long Will a Bathroom Remodel Take?
No two bathroom remodeling projects will ever be the same, so it’s virtually impossible to determine precisely how long a particular bathroom will take to be upgraded. However, the best way to ensure that the process goes as smoothly and efficiently as possible is to hire the services of licensed bathroom contractors or remodeling companies.
Although some local bathroom remodelers will allow their clients to purchase the fixtures they want installed, most prefer to supply everything that’s needed. This saves time for the homeowner; it can also be beneficial in cases where any form of warranty claim may need to be lodged later. For example, if a faucet malfunctions or breaks, it will usually have to be returned by an experienced plumber for the warranty to be honored.
In cases where a few items are being updated as part of a bathroom remodeling project, the process can take a week or two to complete. However, the project can take a few weeks or even months to complete if all fixtures are replaced and relocated elsewhere in the bathroom.
Tips for Maintaining your Newly Renovated Bathroom
Once your bathroom renovation has been completed, it’s essential to regularly perform the necessary care and maintenance. This will ensure that everything looks good for as long as possible afterward.
The concept of cleaning as you go is the best when it comes to preventing the accumulation of soap scum and mold in and around shower stalls and bathtubs. Ensure that the last person to use the facilities at night uses a squeegee to wipe down the shower door and walls. Bathtubs and sinks should be rinsed after each use, and again, the last person to use them should spray them with cleaner once they’re finished.
Always ensure that your bathroom has at least one window that opens to the outside of the property as well – this will help prevent dampness and mold from accumulating over time. An extractor fan unit is also recommended to be installed, as this will help remove as much moisture as possible from your bathroom after each use.
Mold not only causes a bathroom to look unsightly; over time, it can cause some respiratory conditions or even allergies if ignored. SupposeTherefore, if the ceiling or any walls in your bathroom are going to be painted. In that case, a mold repellant paint specifically designed for use in bathroom environments should be used – this will go a long way in helping to prevent decay from developing on these surfaces.
Next: Kitchen remodelers near me
Now that you’ve got the Cincinnati bathroom remodelers near me taken care of, why not go horseback riding?